Followers

Friday, September 24, 2010

Update - Where do we go from here?

Hello, Faithful Readers.

Today has been a day of fantasy. Rather than doing anything of any import, I took two exams and then spent the day playing Final Fantasy XII in the hopes that I can complete it before the long, harsh winter. In lieu of posting a review, I thought I'd make a post detailing what is and what will be when it comes to Programmable Abortion.

For those of you who haven't been reading since the start (only two weeks ago, but it seems so much longer), so far, I've done reviews of:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
Death Rally (PC)
Joe & Mac (SNES)
Earthbound (SNES)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
We Love Katamari (PS2)
U.N. Squadron (SNES)
Tyrian (PC)
Ys III: Wanderers From Ys (SNES)
Darius Twin (SNES)

10 reviews in, and so far the reviews have been very heavily weighted towards the Super Nintendo. They'll continue to be that way for a little while. This is mostly because A) most games I've beaten have been for SNES,  B) I feel the SNES had one of the best game catalogs in video game history, and C) 95% of Super Nintendo games are cheap and easily accessible to anyone who's interested in trying them out.

Now, in the future, not every review will be of video games, although 90% of them will. There are plenty of books, movies, and albums I've been interested in doing reviews of, and there's always a million more items on my list of media to absorb. Even just right now, I'm reading through a great novel called The Road by Cormac McCarthy, playing through Final Fantasy XII, reading a collection of Isaac Asimov's short stories, and playing through Final Fantasy VI (sparingly). My list of things to get around to includes rereading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King (as well as several other novels of his I've missed), playing through Dragon Quest 1 and 2 for NES, watching the entirety of Carl Sagan's Cosmos and Stephen Hawking's Universe, and watching several dozens of interesting-looking movies I've missed out on over the years.

In the distant future, reviews of most of these will be posted. However, it's going to be a while before I finish those things as somewhere in there, time needs to be made for college and work. In the meantime, expect to see reviews posted within the next month or so for:

Leisure Suit Larry 5 (I already have a review almost finished for this one; holy shit, this game was great)
Mega Man X-X3 for SNES
The Incredible Machine for PC
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Lufia and Lufia II for SNES
Pokemon Snap for N64
Pokemon Trading Card Game for GameBoy Color
A few more games that I think were incredibly shitty, just to balance out the good ones

...and presumably many more.

My continued thanks go out to you, Faithful Readers. I have a blast writing these reviews, truly, but if no one were here to read them...well, there's no reason to speak. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy writing them.

To close, I'll leave you with my favorite image from Star Trek: The Next Generation (Season 6, Episode 25 - Timescape).

Troi has never looked so fine.

16 comments:

  1. Megaman X-X3 were some of the best video games ever created. Unfortunately capcom lost sight of the title's roots and have all but destroyed it in the later games (X6+). Was good while it lasted. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alex Raintree

    I agree, but only with X and especially X2. Those two games were mindblowingly amazing...action platformers that good only come along once in a great while. X3, though, was different somehow. Too difficult to explain in a comment, but I feel that it kind of tainted a great formula they had going. Still a super fun game, but not as good as X and X2.

    I've only beaten X4 and X5 after that, and played a little of X6, and wow...what a broken couple of games, especially X5. X6-8 are all on my list of games to play; I have the discs, but not the time. I've really been hoping that they go back to their roots and deliver a game as good as the first few X games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... i haven't actually played any of the game you reviewed!

    oh yeah, i'm free this sunday. might pick up the ps2 and start playing something again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'll certainly keep updated. It's good to know you have a lot planned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We start playing Dungeons and Dragons taht is where we go from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES) ... this i had played ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pokemon snap and Pokemon TCG are the two I cannot wait for. PkTCG better have that one fool (who had the really crummy card that confused your pokemon) all over that review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pokemon Snap, TCG I look forward to a review of! I also am glad you are heading through Dragon Quest games too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi came here from the comment you left on the cnnienol blog, you seem smart and I have enjoyed your blog.

    What I would like to see is some reviews on old PC titles , I think that the PC is forgotten in the games biz, but BOTF and space hulk moulded good gaming a lot more than doom.

    But I love all gaming and shall enjoy reeding, follow back if you like my blog is more general thought but I also have http://hackoblog.com/
    witch you may also enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog title is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete